[Public-List] Rudder problem

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 7 12:10:27 PDT 2008

Interesting but distressing story.

We deal with Edson; their operation is not far from us.  The foundry is
actually in-house; I would guess the problem is lack of skilled workmen.

I would agree that just clamping the fitting in place is not very
seamanlike; but there is not much wrong with a bolt.

We do a relatively high volume of business in imported cast and machined
bronze fittings; Edson has approached us on a couple of occasions with
offers to supply gear, as have other domestic foundries.  Our experience is
that while they are capable of fine work, the average is not great.  We have
been told that foundry work, particularly the finishing, is dirty work and
not many people want to do it for a career anymore.  So we still import gear
from Holland and England...

I would give Edson another try and would recommend that emphasis be made
from the beginning on quality.  That will give them a chance to either do it
right, or decline.  I believe they are committed to quality, but as I
rambled on earlier, craftsmen are thinner on the ground than they were.

Gord #426 Surprise