[Public-List] Rudder construction (esp. Michael Grosh)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Apr 8 19:26:33 PDT 2008

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I mis-remembered the dates on the
drawings.  OTOH,  I'm not gonna get much closer to what mine might look
like than information from you! :)

I would love it if the shaft stock were bronze.  My favorite boat metal
both above and below the waterline.  Brass, not so much.  Luckily,  I
figure my boat has had a pretty easy life, as they go, having lived
only in fresh water, and then only about six months per year.  I still
don't like the idea of brass underwater, but I guess they seem to be
holding up alright, or at least I haven't heard of any outright
failures of the stock.  I haven't done much research into different
brass types, but IIRC Naval or Red brass are better than the garden
variety.

I'm interested in the triangles and etc.  You don't by any chance have
any photos of yours, do you?  Mine is certainly fiberglass on the
outside, and I can see the outline of what look like straps or bars
(perhaps 1" wide and 8" or so long) angling back about midway down the
rudder, but they're under the glass.  I don't recall any work having
been done on the rudder (the PO saved ALL the receipts), so I think
it's original, but I'll have to go back and look.  I could trade you a
photo or two if you like.

Thanks again for the response.

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221
Little Sister by one to Michael's boat :D