[Public-List] Price too High was How old is to old?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Apr 15 05:29:06 PDT 2008

I have noticed that in places were A30's are thinner on the ground the price
seems to go up.  IE a buddy has been casually looking for one in British
Columbia... Prices were all really high and very few A30's seemed to be
around.

Your last line reminds me of a scare I had a number of years ago while I was
with Transat Marine in Barrie.  An A30 owner came by who was in the midst of
an Atlantic circle tour...had just finished the Azores to Caribbean leg and
had decided to replace all his old standing rigging before making the next
shot up the US coast toward home in Canada.  We built his rig and sent him
away with it.  Naturally I was very interested in his voyage and when he
left we shook hands and exchanged promised to get together to talk about his
voyage when he got home.

I didn't hear from him for many months.  Occasionally a horrifying image
would pop into my mind of him lost at sea due to some rigging failure...
Phone calls to his numbers went unanswered, etc etc.

Finally, one day out of the blue he phoned me.  It turned out that he never
made the last leg of his trip.  He was the victim of a terrible hit and run
car accident in St Martin the night before leaving ... He had been in
hospital down there then up here for extended periods.  One day he
remembered me and thought he had better let me know he was alive!  He
laughed when I told him what I feared had happened.

I wonder how that A30 got to Chile?  I think a lot of A30's, more than we
know about, go on extended voyages, quietly and without drama.  I am in the
business of outfitting other people's yachts for big trips...always keep
dreaming about my own voyage some day... But haven't done one since my
'wandering days' when I was a student.  One can spend years 'getting ready'
but there comes a time when if you are going to go, you should just do it.

And THAT reminds me of a line I read once involving H.W.Tilman.  At the end
of one of his presentations on his sailing expeditions a young man came up
to him and asked how one goes about doing things like he does.  Tilman
responded "just pull your boots on, and walk out the door".  Easy for him to
say, unmarried and with his military pension.  Most of us are tied to the
land with a thousand threads that are difficult to cut.

Gord A30 #426