[Public-List] Foredeck -adding blocks of wood under fairleads to get them off of the toerails

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Apr 18 14:34:07 PDT 2008

> -Jeff Fongemie  said

  <snip>
This
seems like a good idea, allowing the use of a larger sized fairlead
(width constraint on the toe-rail) as well as removing stresses from
the toe-rail itself.

has anyone done this? Care to comment? Anyone encountered problems
<snip>

The factory open chocks are lag bolted to the teak toe rail-that's the
weak point IMHO. I have lost one of mine, but that may be because
Checkmate's toerails are in dire need of replacement. Anyway, thru
bolting- a pretty straightforward operation- seems to me would be all
the beefing anyone would want, since you are going through the deck and
the hull flange. That fairlead is not really taking the load. If I was
worried about shock loads on a mooring, I would install massive backing
plates under the cleats.

It seems easy to over engineer corrections. The thing is, the boat is
massively overbuilt (by today's standards) so why not work with what is
already there?

MichaelGrosh