[Public-List] Removing 3M 5200?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sat Aug 2 13:43:07 PDT 2008

Greetings,

Due to an embarrassing (should I say, stupid?) oversight I feel
    compelled to take apart a new through-hull/seacock assembly and
    redo it. The reason? I unwittingly used a through-hull that is a
    different metal than the bronze Apollo seacock. I don't know what
    exactly the through-hull is made of, but instead of worrying about
    it, I'm going to deal with it now.

I used 3M 5200 in putting the thing together-- can anyone suggest
     removal techniques? By now I understand that this is going to be
     a real bear to get apart. I'd really like to be able to reuse the
     $100 seacock, of course!

I understand that acetone might help, cutting of the 5200 made be of
    some use-- I'm imagining that I may use a sawz-all to lop off the
    head of the through-hull... and then....?

    Many thanks for your help as I fumble down the DIY path, here.

Regards,
Randy Katz
Bellingham/ Seattle. WA