[Public-List] Removing 3M 5200?

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 14:13:50 PDT 2008

Hi Randy,

I've seen this stuff supposedly able to dissolve 5200 although I've not used it:
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,29255.html

I just went through removing 4x5" blocks of wood from my deck that was
adhered with 5200 and what worked for me was using some strong wire as
a cutting device, slowly sawing through the 5200 where ever I could,
then tapping in some thin putty knives..eventually slipping a wood
wedge in there.  I went through lots of wire, it has to be thin, but
strong. I took about 4 feet of wire, wrapped each end around a short
dowel and sawed back and forth slowly. Going too fast breaks the wire,
and I was generating smoke!

Granted, if your seacock is threaded to your through-hull you'll never
be able to wedge anything apart. Remove the bolts, try cutting the
seal with a wire all the way around, then possibly spin the seacock to
unthread from the seacock.

I tried acetone and it did nothing, as did toluene.

Good luck.

-jeff