[Public-List] Removing 3M 5200?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Aug 2 15:02:39 PDT 2008

Hi -

I 'smote my forehead' after realizing that I had allowed my knotmeter
through hull to rotate when tightening the inside nut.  It was 5200'd in,
hence the self-smack on the forehead.

I removed the sending unit, put a doubled line through the through hull
around a bar of oak inside.  I led the doubled line around a leg of the
cradle and inserted a 3' piece of oak as a spanish windlass and wound it up
as tight as I could make it; tied off the bar then I walked away.

I came back the next day and the through hull had broken free of the 5200
and popped out.

I am sure this is not the prescribed method, but it worked.

Who else would I admit such a story to than fellow A30 sailors?

Gord #426