[Public-List] Removing 3M 5200: merci!

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sat Aug 2 16:46:42 PDT 2008

Greetings, and many thanks to Jeff and Gord,

Just hearing that someone else has been through this is a big help.
     The solvent and wire techniques are worth a try, and the
     stressing and leaving-it idea sounds good, too. Thanks, tons.

I had read mixed comments on the Internet about toulene/acetone with
     5200 (some even mentioned paint thinner), and believe those to
     work before the 5200 cures all the way, as in cleaning up dabs
     here and there.

What I need to remember having learned from this experience is to find
     out about the task BEFOREHAND, instead of being quite so brazen
     about assuming I know how to do it. The most basic articles about
     t-hulls and seacocks emphasize the importance of being sure
     they're the same metal type-- all of my reference books cite
     this! Argh!!

Interestingly, a few people think that 5200 has NO place on a boat;
    others that 4200 is the stuff to use for t-hull fittings. As
    always, opinions vary, even on something as routine as this topic.

Thanks again-- I'll let you know how this goes after I remedy the
     problem on Wednesday.

   Regards,
Randy Katz
Bellingham/Seattle,WA.