[Public-List] fixed vs sliding boom gooseneck attachment at mast

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 2 19:49:42 PDT 2008

Our gooseneck slides on a 1" wide track whose attachment screws have failed.  The existing track consists of a 1" wide x 1/8" thick by 18" long (tapped screw fasteners every 2") Stainless Steel bar, screwed to the aft surface of the mast and held off the mast with a ca. 1/8" thick wooden (teak?) spacer.  The wood appears to have weakened over the years/decades and 7 of the 10 screws have sheared off.  We have the option of removing the threaded remains of the screws and refitting the existing track, this time with an aluminium spacer. However, I wonder whether a fixed attachment point for the boom gooseneck might be more convenient and stronger (and free up a cleat at the base of my mast).Any comments or references to discussion of fixed vs sliding gooseneck attachment would be greatly appreciated.Suggestions for hardware replacements for fittings for fixed or sliding (type of track, material of construction) configurations would also be welcome.  David & Gerry Tessier"Trois Bouleaux" #319Georgian Bay, ON