[Public-List] fixed vs sliding boom gooseneck attachment at mast

Jacques TN jdusseault at synergem.org
Sat Aug 2 20:28:12 PDT 2008

Gerry,

The boom slides up and down on the track on the mast in order to assist in
trimming the mainsail.  A line called a Cunningham tensions the boom (
tightens the luff of the sail) by pulling down and is tied to a cleat lower
down on the mast.  The Cunningham adjustment (tight or loose) affects the
mainsail draft position. With a loose Cunningham the draft will be further
aft. When the Cunningham is tensioned the draft will move forward and open
the leech of the mainsail. To help with the right sail shape it is usually
tensioned down in higher winds and loosened up in light winds.  If you use a
fixed attachment of the boom to the mast you will loose this sail trimming
potential.  Unless we are racing I usually set my luff tension using the
Cunningham midway in tension.  That is usually good enough for me.
Otherwise I use the main halyard tension to provide some tension or not.  I
hope this makes sense??

Jacques
Kilwinning #446