[Public-List] fixed vs sliding boom gooseneck attachment at mast

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 04:37:08 PDT 2008

The cunningham can also be run through a cringle in the luff of the
main some distance above the tack. This way, instead of pulling on the
gooseneck, you are pulling on the actual sail. What I'm saying is that
the sliding gooseneck fitting is not necessary in order to have a
cunningham. Many albergers pull from the sail instead of running the
cunningham to the boom and pulling down on the whole boom.

Most sailboats have a fixed gooseneck and run the cunningham from the
luff cringle. I believe the Alberg 30's were fitted with sliding
goosenecks so that they could use a roller furling main (very old
school one). The forward end of the boom also has a fitting with a
worm gear inside to which you can attach a crank and roll the sail
around the boom. I think this can only be done with a battenless sail
or a sail with battens parallel to the foot, so most people (at least,
most that I know) don't have a sail which will work with this
arrangement.

My boat had the sliding gooseneck and rotating boom setup. When I
installed a rigid vang, these had to be fixed, so I through-bolted 2
of the screws on the mast track to fix the gooseneck location
vertically. Then I through-bolted past the worm gear to prevent the
rotation of the boom. I did not buy a new fitting and fortunately my
track was in good enough shape that I just kept it...that was 2 years
ago and so far so good.

I can send you pix of this if you like.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Jacques TN <jdusseault at synergem.org> wrote:
> Gerry,
>
> The boom slides up and down on the track on the mast in order to assist in
> trimming the mainsail.  A line called a Cunningham tensions the boom (
> tightens the luff of the sail) by pulling down and is tied to a cleat lower
> down on the mast.  The Cunningham adjustment (tight or loose) affects the
> mainsail draft position. With a loose Cunningham the draft will be further
> aft. When the Cunningham is tensioned the draft will move forward and open
> the leech of the mainsail. To help with the right sail shape it is usually
> tensioned down in higher winds and loosened up in light winds.  If you use a
> fixed attachment of the boom to the mast you will loose this sail trimming
> potential.  Unless we are racing I usually set my luff tension using the
> Cunningham midway in tension.  That is usually good enough for me.
> Otherwise I use the main halyard tension to provide some tension or not.  I
> hope this makes sense??
>
> Jacques
> Kilwinning #446

J Bergquist