[Public-List] Reefing lines led aft.

Philip Bartlett pbartlett at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 5 22:56:58 PDT 2008

I am looking for guidance in moving Windward's reef lines inside the boom and re-routing each through the luff cringle, down to the deck and aft to cluches on the cabin top.

The current mainsail reefing system consists of a hook on the goose neck for the luff reef points and a pair of reef lines lead from the stbd side of the boom, up to the reef points on the leech of the sail, down to cheek blocks on the port side of the boom and forward to about 18" behind the gooseneck where they can be secured to a cleat when a reef is needed. The gooseneck is the original roller reefing unit and is still in working order though it is no longer used.

Currently I am not sure how I will run the reef lines out from inside the boom and down from the gooseneck to the deck level. The roller reefing gooseneck is, of course, not set up for this and is rather long so that any turning blocks in the underside of the boom would be too far aft of the mast. I could have a new gooseneck fitting fabricated or a replacement may be available with the correct cross section.

Has anyone else made this modification? If yes, how well does it work in practice? Any thoughts on the best way to make the changes? Any idea on a source of gooseneck fittings that are compatible with the extrusion?

This will be my project for the winter so I am starting to gather information, parts, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Philip Bartlett,
Windward #428