[Public-List] 2007 Hospice Cup - A Race for Crusing Sailors

laserandy at aol.com laserandy at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 06:20:35 PDT 2008

I want to make an appeal to all you Annapolis area non-racers to come out
and sail in this year’s Hospice Cup.  In
addition to the normal racing classes, this year we are once again holding a “Hospice
Class” race intended for people who don’t regularly race.  If you are a dyed in the wool cruiser or
daysailor, hate racing, but want to participate in a parade of boats and
support a good cause, this is the event for you.

The Hospice Class is non-spinnaker, and races on a separate
course away from the ‘racers.’  Hospice
Class racing is very low impact, there is generally no windward leg.  The race committee holds a mandatory skippers
meeting for the Hospice Class skippers on the Monday before the event.  At the meeting, the committee will go through
the basic rules, the course, and the starting and finishing procedures, and
give everyone an idea as to what is going to happen on race day.

While the racing is fun, it’s only one part of the event.  After racing, there is a party from 3pm to
around 7pm on the waterfront at Manresa (the
large mansion by the Naval Academy Bridge
over the Severn).  We will have live music, lots of food, an open
bar, a wine raffle, a live auction, a cruise raffle, a (golf) pitching contest
into the Severn, lots of socializing, awards,
etc.  It’s a big shindig.

The regatta is the nation’s largest charity sailing r
egatta,
and provides financial support for local Hospices as well as publicity for and
appreciation of the Hospices and their caregivers.  Last year we raised well over $400,000.00 with
the event.  My favorite part, however, is
taking caregivers as crew.  The race
committee will match up interested Hospice Caregivers with any boat that
specifies open space for caregivers.

So, I’m appealing to all of you, racers, cruisers, lurkers,
even non-Alberg owners, register for the Hospice Class, sign up for crew
fundraising, but when you do, please make a space or two available on your boat
to take a Hospice caregiver sailing.

We will be sailing Hospice Class this year, hope to see some
folks out there, let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

The event webpage is www.hospicecup.org,
and the race registration is through Shearwater Sailing Club, www.shearwatersc.net.

For you out-of-Chesapeake-area Alberg owners, there are other Hospice Cups around, check www.hospiceregattas.org.

Andrew Cole