[Public-List] fixed vs sliding boom gooseneck attachment at mast

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Aug 3 05:53:25 PDT 2008

The late Joe Fernandez of Triton Sails, original builder of factory supplied
sails for Whitby Boat Works, did not like floating goosenecks and preferred
the more modern fixed boom Cunningham arrangement. He felt that hauling down
the boom to pull the draft forward over tensioned the rest of the sail and
was unnecessary.

That said, I still have a floating gooseneck and a Cunningham too.

You won't harm you boat by going to a fixed neck if that is what you want.
The wood behind the track by the way is likely red oak - crappy wood prone
to rot, white oak is better. Mine is Tufnell.

ATB

John