[Public-List] Prefered new fuel tank ?

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon Aug 4 15:28:12 PDT 2008

Tom,

What style tank did your boat have originally - can you tell?  This
will be interesting as your boat is one number newer than mine.

I know that when I was Alberg 30 shopping, I saw some (rather early)
boats that had a long, tall narrow tank up against the outside of the
hull in the starboard cockpit locker.  (Picture a deck of cards tipped
up on its side, only longer.)

My boat had (I've removed it) a more "normally" rectangular tank lying
flat in the forward portion of the starboard locker (picture a rather
wide shoebox).  I believe it was original for three reasons:  1) A
receipt the owner had for the replacement of the tank; and, 2) The fact
that the shelf that holds it up was fastened with Robertson drive
screws that match the rest of the original installation s (whereas any
other later work does not use these); and, 3) The two braces that hold
the tank up are glassed to the hull and the coating matches the rest of
the original inside coating.

I ordered a new, Moeller brand plastic tank (the tank in the boat has
started to seep on a joint) that's almost exactly the same size, and
fits on the original shelf.  I have been more-or-less planning to
install that (I can get the part number for you if this is the size
you're trying to match -- I got it from Hamilton Marine in Maine but
many places sell them), but if someone else has come up with something
better I'm all ears at this point.  I've been planning to mock up a
tank that's the same size but shaped more like a shoebox standing on
end, which would snug down into the forward part of the locker more
efficiently and use less "prime" locker space.  Too bad you can no
longer make wood/epoxy gas tanks, as they are so easy to make to a
custom shape.

Gordon: What shape and size is your tank?  Where does it fit in the
locker?

Rachel