[Public-List] Book review

Rod Symmes harmony at aztec-net.com
Wed Aug 6 05:39:15 PDT 2008

Ooooh ...... Names and Dates ...... cringe ...... right on David

I would like to add to the book recommendations:
I am currently reading  BROADSIDES - The Age of Fighting Sail,  1775-1815   by Nathan Miller
This book does talk about the "six frigates" and sounds like more details of the origins of the U.S. Navy and Washington's use of it, but also ties it all in with what was going on around the world.  So, obviously much of the book is about English, French, Spanish, Turkish, Dutch etc. ships and gives vivid detail about Trafalgar, The Nile, Nelson, Hood, and many others.  And it would not be complete without including descriptions of the exploits of everyone's privateers.
A great summer read for those days when there isn't enough wind.

Cheers,    Rod

  Well, since the list is on the topic I'll chime in with a recommendation. I recently finished the book: Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian Toll. It was published in 2006, but now is available in paperback relatively inexpensively. It was a fun read.

  It's not going to shed much light on the origins of the US Navy for those of you who have already been exposed to the topic. But it does do a nice job of putting it together in an enjoyable read that focuses on the US Naval history from the 1790s through the War of 1812. It includes a number of references to locations that will be familiar to Chesapeake sailors. Not much detail on the Great Lakes, I'm afraid, though it does note the way the lakes figured in the war of 1812.

  - Dan