[Public-List] Gord's history lesson

dlandrigan at landrigan.net dlandrigan at landrigan.net
Tue Aug 5 14:57:55 PDT 2008

Well, since the list is on the topic I'll chime in with a recommendation. I recently finished the book: Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian Toll. It was published in 2006, but now is available in paperback relatively inexpensively. It was a fun read.

It's not going to shed much light on the origins of the US Navy for those of you who have already been exposed to the topic. But it does do a nice job of putting it together in an enjoyable read that focuses on the US Naval history from the 1790s through the War of 1812. It includes a number of references to locations that will be familiar to Chesapeake sailors. Not much detail on the Great Lakes, I'm afraid, though it does note the way the lakes figured in the war of 1812.

- Dan