[Public-List] the through hull is done-- "red brass"

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sat Aug 9 19:16:06 PDT 2008

>  I went for reusing a bronze elbow (45 degrees) plus
>   a couple red brass nipples (one new because of corrosion from many
>   years use in the other) in order to reach high enough so that I
>   could reuse the existing drain hose.

Do you mean you used the extension to avoid replacing the "rubber"
drain hose?

Let me preface my post by saying that I realize you're comfortable with
your set-up, so I'm mostly just posting this for anyone else who reads
it to get info on a potential project;

1) There's almost no older hose I wouldn't replace once I was "in
there."

2) It's really not recommended to have a "stack" of fittings coming off
the seacock, because if something or someone falls against it, that
puts a lot of leverage force on everything. Granted it might be a
"sheltered" location (depending on how the divider between your cockpit
lockers and the seacock area is arranged), but still...

3) I would still prefer bronze to red brass, but it's the stack and
older hose that would bother me more.

Rachel