[Public-List] Alberg shopping (was Hope Island RacingConference)

pwrutland at bellnet.ca pwrutland at bellnet.ca
Tue Aug 12 09:23:18 PDT 2008

Dear Rachel

thank you for your reply.  I wanted to talk on the phone in order to
communicate the nuances of things, sort of a dialogue, but it may be becuase
I don't want to be a burdon on you and do emails a lot, or because I am 60
and did not grow up doing the email thing. That being said, I think email is
a good idea, as I can think as I write, and that is a good thing. I have
owned a 70's contessa since early 90's, and know that some jobs can't be
done by me. I have put on a solar panel and rewired my boat, and I am sure
it is good, but it does not look professionally done. I have had some
delamination issues with my boat, and I have had to remove the soggy core
and replace it with new core, but again, it is better than the original job,
but the finishing does not look professional.  I have learned by experience
about the engine and take care of it, but don't know instinctively what is
wrong if something goes wrong.  I have a monitor windvane I put on myslelf,
and I think it is ok.  So, when I was thinking of buying a A30, I was
concenred that I would be taken in by the cosmetics, and ignore the
underlying core of the boat, and each boat seems to have its own issues. For
instanace, my boat has the hull deck joint riveted together, which I
understand is not a good thing. The main thing is to have a good hull, an
engine that has been maintained well, and the rest, except for painting, I
think I could do myself. But I noticed that it could be difficult to get at
the stufing box and wondered if that was a going concern.  I don't know much
about the bearings or whatever A30 has for the rudder/tiller connection. I
had a spate of my ballast being exposed for some reason, and naturally it
rusted, and I had someone do some expoxy work to patch it, and it has not
come back, but I know the A30 has an iron keel, and wondered if that was a
chronic concern among owners. I hope this is not too long. I guess I would
be interested in the top five or six things you would look at if you were
buying a replacement boat for yourself. Thank you for reading this
meandering thing from a college graduate who needs things to do with his
hands to get away from thinking too much. On my contessa, there is a deep
sump in the bilge, and I could have about two square yards of water in there
and I might not notice it. Does the A30 have that deep a sump, or is it
shallow bilge and engine droppings will migrate to the cabin sole.