[Public-List] Alberg shopping (was Hope Island RacingConference)

pwrutland at bellnet.ca pwrutland at bellnet.ca
Tue Aug 12 09:36:45 PDT 2008

I always make fun of myself by saying I am a college graduate, and by that I
mean I am someone who has learned the hard way that reading a book and then
doing something does not always produce a good result. So I have learned the
hard way about boats, sort of, and my concern in buying a used boat is
getting something that is too expensive to repair, like a deck that is
delaminated, as the process requires cosmetic finishing that would be beyond
me, and working over my head for several weeks would be hard.  The engine is
something I think is a miracle if it starts in the spring, and learned the
best thing that can be done is preventive maintenance.   I love the sound of
a happy diesel, but would be at a loss to fix it. and replacing a motor is
too expensive to consider. I know from the contessa that I would be looking
for leaks in the hull deck joint, shoddy maintenace of the motor, and
delaminatio of the deck and keel if I were giving someone advise, and so I
was wondering if A30 owner could let me know the design issues that are
presented in this boat, as I like the CCA design of the boat.  The iron keel
seems to be a potential problem. I have looked at one A30 to date, a 1969
model, in order to see if my wife would find it claustraphobic. She did not
and liked the all the wood, storagae areas, and room. I liked the design and
the dedication to cruising that the boat represents, and the room. Also, I
like odd things, and like I would not want to live in a new subdivision
house if I could have an old one in downtown Toronto. I like trees, and
could not live in an area without them.  Lots of folks do.  The 1969 boat
showed a lot of getting by without putting the effort into doing a good job.
It may be because of time, or the fact that it wasn't worth doing a good
job.  But it looked tired. I have a lister petter diesel in my contessa, and
some mechanics think it is a dog, but  it is steady, reliable,
unsophisicated, and works well if treated well.  I wondered if the Bukh
engine was the same.  Lots of questions, but if you could give me some
things to look out for when looking at boats, that would be nice. Have a
good day.