[Public-List] Running Engine Drydocked

Tom S. tom.s at insightbb.com
Fri Aug 22 16:16:44 PDT 2008

John,

I would suggest you go to an auto supply store (maybe even Wal-Mart) and
buy a Prestone radiator flush kit. It will only cost a few dollars. In
this kit you will find several "T" fittings. One of these fittings will
fit your intake hose. Cut you intake hose between your intake and your
engine (preferably before your strainer if you have one so it can also
be used to winterize) This "T" fitting is designed to go in the heater
hose of you automobile and remain there so it is very well made and will
be just fine in the intake hose of your Alberg. Also you will see that
there is garden hose attachment point with a very substantial screw on
cap with a very good rubber gasket which will be kept in place when you
are not either winterizing or running on the hard.

Now take a length garden hose with the female end in tact and attach it
to the "T" fitting (after removing the cap) I actually like to use a
washing machine hose with one end fitting cut off ..... they are nice
and flexible and high quality hose. Put the loose end in a drywall
bucket full of water either in the cabin floor or the cockpit floor and
have a garden hose standing by preferably with a  cut off valve or
nozzle. Be sure the hose going to the "T" is secure in the bottom of the
drywall bucket of water.

Now you want to close the intake through hull so the engine will pull
the cooling water from the drywall bucket. Now you are ready to start
the engine. Be sure that it is pulling water from the bucket and spiting
it out of the exhaust as the engine runs. Also be sure you are replacing
the water in the bucket at a comparable rate as it is being removed.

WORD OF CAUTION!!! ..............................If You place your
bucket in the cockpit which would mean that it would be above your
engine there is a possibility that it could set up a siphon after you
shut off the engine and and there is a chance of water interring the
cylinders through the exhaust valves. Be sure to remove the hose from
the bucket and or open the engine through hull as a safeguard

This is a very effective method, I have used it many times and if you
have any questions drop me a line.