[Public-List] Running Engine Drydocked

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:22:00 PDT 2008

Hi John,

Gord makes two good points regarding forcing water into your intake and also with regards to the packing around the prop shaft.  If you are careful with the water pressure you can buy a gizmo that looks like a glorified toilet plunger with an attachment point for a garden hose and a telescopic handle.  This is placed over the raw water intake and the hose turned on just enough to supply water to the cup.  The engine water pump does the rest.  If I'm not mistaken there is a valve so that you can turn the hose off at the cup for when the engine is not running.  I've seen mechanics using them at a couple of marinas when they have been working on an engine.

Cheers,

Hugh > From: jg1111 at msn.com> To: public-list at lists.alberg30.org> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:32:25 -0400> Subject: [Public-List] Running Engine Drydocked> > > Could someone tell me what the best way to rig an engine up so it can be cranked up periodically while drydocked? I have the boat in my backyard now and would like to be able to crank it up when I want. I was thinking that there should be an easy way to hook up a garden hose to the engine intake using some kind of adaptor. Has anyone done this and what did you use for the adaptor? The boat has a Perkins M30 Diesel engine.> Thanks,> John (Trelawney #15)> _______________________________________________> These businesses support your Association:> http://www.alberg30.org/store/A30supporters.html> Please support them.> _______________________________________________> Public-List mailing list> Public-List at lists.alberg30.org> http://lists.alberg30.org/listinfo.cgi/public-list-alberg30.org