[Public-List] Bottom paint (re-query)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Wed Aug 6 15:52:34 PDT 2008

Seeing the responses, I should throw some more info into the pot:

First of all, my boat came from Michigan, so in the past it's been
sailed exclusively on fresh water.   The bottom is very very fair and
smooth.  Not too many seasons ago, it was stripped back to the gelcoat,
then had numerous coats of Interlux 2000 barrier coat applied (no
blisters, just "because"), and then VC-17 bottom paint.

Now I have two (well, two that I'm considering) choices:

1) I can continue with the VC-17, which is a hard, smooth, vinyl paint.
  It's used on a lot of boats in fresh water, especially for racing.

2) Or, I can strip off the VC-17, and put on an ablative (I know there
are other options but this is what I would do).  I'd probably go with
Micron Extra or the like.  I don't mind spending money for the best
paint, as I feel it's good value in the long run (and no more work than
cheaper paint).

One more factor is that I'm still thinking I may sell the A-30.  If so,
I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the Annapolis area were
interested, so there's this little voice saying "Oh boy, don't strip
off this perfectly smooth, fair, VC-17, then apply ablative, if the
VC-17 would be what someone else wanted in the end!" How ironic that
would be (not to mention, annoying).

So there were really two reasons I was asking about
Annapolis/Chesapeake paint.  One was because I was wondering if the
VC-17 was patently unsuitable (it's quite common where I'm from, but
that's fresh water).  And the other was to get a feel for what the
Annapolis people like in case someone from there ends up with my boat
:)*

*Of course since I'm one of those "anal" nuts, I have to finish the
work I started first.

As usual, thank you for all the input.

Rachel