[Public-List] sculling

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Dec 10 16:54:06 PST 2008

Having been a cox' on the Cornell University Crew, back when the Big Red
was truly a power in the sport, I am familiar with the techniques
(though I just steered and yelled). But sculling a small boat, or even a
30 foot Alberg, is a great deal different.  I can't really see rowing
like rowing  either a racing shell or even a rowboat, though possibly if
oarlock sockets were installed in the cockpit and there were two people
rowing, you might get somewhere. I have paddled with a canoe paddle a
lot better when becalmed and out of  engine power. Sculling however
involves a single oar off the stern and a technique of essentially
waving the oar back and forth with a rotary motion. You're not going to
go very fast, but you can make forward progress if you do it right. An
oarlock would be a great help.

- Gordon White
Brigadoon II