[Public-List] Transmission Removal Prop-Shaft Question

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Dec 3 06:07:25 PST 2008

Yes he has a Grey Marine...
Last time I did this on my atomic 4
(same problem - replace rear seal) I pulled the motor off its bunks and
onto the cabin sole.
You can shove the propshaft all the way back
just turn to tiller to port or starboard & make sure the prop is
aligned vertical.
I found it easier to pull the whole motor ... took
just a few minutes to do as much like you I had had the motor out
recently.
Besides working over the back of the motor ... might be a
bit challenging to get everything back together.
--
C.B.
Currier

laserandy at aol.com
wrote:
> I need to pull the transmission over the winter to
replace a leaky rear
> seal.? I'm thinking about trying to do it
without removing the engine.?
> Has anyone done this?? Anyone know
how far back you can push the
> prop-shaft before the prop hits
the back of the keyhole?? My recollection
> from putting the thing
together is that I only need a couple (2-4) inches
> to get the
transmission clear of the crankshaft.

> All
experiences/warnings (e.g. don't drop the propshaft out the back of
> the boat...) appreciated.
>
> Andrew

Andante - 152