[Public-List] sculling

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Thu Dec 11 04:39:53 PST 2008

The Pardey's on Sarafin (and their later boat, Taleisin,
is also engineless, I believe) are proponents of oars.
they use just one, either on the side, or for sculling.

I have a 20' or so lifeboat oar that I have experimented
with. As Gordon says, the oarlock is the issue. Someday I
will sand cast a bronze oarlock, but there is potential
for actually moving an Alberg with an oar-in a dead calm.

I found sculling less effective than on the side, but it
takes a lot of sea room to get up speed so the rudder can
be used to counter...torque, I guess it is.

MichaelGrosh