[Public-List] In-Hull Transducers

dterrell1 at charter.net dterrell1 at charter.net
Sun Dec 28 12:05:17 PST 2008

Miy boat uses a large pvc pipe filled with mineral water. The tranducer is not epoxied to the hull; it is placed just above the boat's hull and stabalized so it does not move.I  could share if anyone would like to see how it is stabilized. The only problem I had was that the mineral oil level went down resulting in false readings. The solution was to put more mineral oil in and see that it was better sealed. I think it evaporated rather than leaked out, but I have not tested either of these theories. It is my understanding that this installation for the depth transducer works on our boats because the hull lacks a core. Not having to drill another hole in the boat is a good thing. One thing to consider is the placement of the transducer. On my boat, it is located so it points as directly down as possible when the boat is floating on its lines. (If it were placed too far up the side of the hull, the readings would be misleading.) The result is that the readings are as accurate as possible when are coming into harbors and operating in shallow water.  When heeled, the readings make sense given our rather deep bay. I have never tried to figure out how much the angle of heel would affect readings at a given depth and incline of the bottom level, but I suspect it could be done with some math and some reasonable assumptions..

David 432
---- jon <whittle at shaw.ca> wrote:
> The transducer definitely needs to be surrounded by fluid, water, antifreeze
or apparently mineral oil. Regardless there needs to be no air bubbles. Some
transducers are permanently epoxied in place but this can be dodgy since
they might not work in the precise place that you have just stuck them to!!
Jonathan.