[Public-List] Cost of a new motor

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Tue Feb 5 11:47:34 PST 2008

Peter,

You didn't specify gas or diesel.  I can't speak to diesel from personal
knowledge, but I understand $8,000.00 or higher would not be
unreasonable to expect, as there are a lot of systems and hardware that
need changing in addition to the lump itself.

A "new" rebuilt Gray Marine runs somewhere just shy of $4,000.00 bench
tested and ready to drop in from Van Ness Engineering in NJ.  I'm not
sure if that includes the transmission or not, but it very well may
since they'd have to be mated in order to bench run the engine (shared
oil).  My impression is that Van Ness only reconditions clean freshwater
cooled engines which don't have jacket wall thickness issues.  My
impression having been to Jersey and met Mr. Van Ness is also that they
do top notch work and nothing less than perfect leaves their place, I
would consider this a new engine.

A "new" rebuilt A4 is somewhere a bit north of that, $4,500ish I think,
from Moyer.  I haven't met Moyer, but by all indications he's as
meticulous as Van Ness, and I would expect his rebuilt engines are
effectively 'new.'

Don't know what a well maintained nice running Grey would go for, I
would gladly have parted with $500.00 when we were doing ours last year
for the convenience of being able to yank one and drop in another, but
probably wouldn't have paid $2,500.00.  That gives you an idea of what
it would have been worth to me, not necessarily what it is 'worth.'

Andrew

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:52:34 +1000
>From: "Peter Hurrey" <phurrey at tpg.com.au>
>Subject: Re: [Public-List] More on move from Gray Marine gas to Yanmar
	diesel

>Could I be rude enough to ask what the cost of a new motor is these
days?

>Regards,

>Peter Hurrey

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at lists.alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at lists.alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.