[Public-List] Taffrail Discussion

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 5 19:26:30 PST 2008

  Jonathan,

  I suppose that you could remove the hardware and use a hand held planer to remove the damaged top board and then just replace that one.  One could also try to separate the top mechanically from the middle.  Mine is literally falling to pieces and the glue joints are failing.  You could chisel off the top board close to the glue joint and then sand off the remainder down to the glue joint.  Remove the entire mess from the boat and then try to separate the top board at the glue joint while supported on a workbench.  There are any number of ways to do this job.  Depends on what is damaged and how bad it is damaged.

  I plan to reglue mine and replace missing pieces while in place on the boat until I make an entirely new one of the older style with the built in scuppers.

  Michael

Jonathan Budington <jon at globalprinting.com> wrote:
  My taffrail needs replacement as well. I'm curious about Michael's post
"the top board of the taffrail" - could I replace the top board without
removing the bottom board? I assumed they were glued together.
Replacing only the top board (the damaged piece on my boat) would be a
less daunting project.

Jon