[Public-List] Taffrail Replacement Update

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:08:04 PST 2008

Good evening all,

I am not sure that Andrew's comment, as follows, is entirely correct.  Looking at the line drawing of the Alberg deck layout and also the wooden taffrail on my boat (hull #39) I don't think that the boards are truely circular.  The central radius may be 52" but the radius seems to "tighten" as you approach the two ends.

I think what might be the safest approach would be to make a template from the existing taffrail before removing it from the deck.  I would use a piece of stiff card such as bristol board, tack it to the wood in several places with one edge of the card along the centre line of the boat and then trim along the edges of the existing wood with a sharp utility knife.  Provided the card can't move during the trimming process then an accurate template will be the result.  If you take your time and reproduce the inside curve as cleanly as possible then it is a simple matter to create the outside curve with a pair of dividers set to the actual width desired for the new boards.

Hope this is understandable.

Cheers,

Hugh McCormack
Woody Pt., Nfld
Canada > If you're going to try to make one from scratch, I think the radius of> the inside curve is approximately 52 inches, and the outer curve is on a> radius 3 and some fraction (3.25 I think) longer.