[Public-List] Alberg 30 Trailer

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 20:08:42 PST 2008

Hello  Elyse,

  I did eventually build a trailer for my Alberg 30.  This was a custom designed and built trailer that was finished in the fall of 2002.  I have used it to transport and store my Alberg for the past 5 years now.  Next spring I will use it again to relocate the Alberg 30 up to Arcadia, MI.  This will be the Alberg's new home and ours as well.  It is my hope and dream to finally recommision the Alberg and go sailing on the Great Lakes.

  I was planning on doing an article for Geroge Dinwiddie to place on this Public List's Archives.  I have photos of the entire fabrication process and the first loading of the boat and 450 mile trip back to Indianapolis, IN from Ohio. Alas, I have never put the article together and gotten it to Geroge.  My plan was to build the trailer so that I could store and move the boat 'at will' and not be subject to the schedule and cost of professional boat haulers.

  To this extent the plan has worked.  The trailer tows like a dream and I have never had any difficulties in moving the Alberg.  The only down side is that I have approximately $7,000.00 invested in the trailer.  But my plan for the Alberg 30 was for twenty years.  Thus if I move the boat once a year over the twenty years the cost is $350.00 a move.  Twice a year and the trailer part of the cost becomes $175.00 and so on.

  I have talked with many, many folks about trailering Alberg 30's.   Now that I have built a trailer of my own design, I believe that it would have been more cost effective to purchase a commercially available flatbed trailer for heavy equipment and only designed a cradle to attach to the bed.  Let's say start with a trailer for a 14,000 pound frontend loader and just add the cradle.  My trailer was designed to be a lift off trailer, so a flatbed with cradle attached would function the same for less than $7,000.00.  My trailer might be more attractive, but who is looking at the trailer!   Mine was built with two 6,000 lb axles and the total loaded weight is 11,640 pounds.  This is well within the safety margin, but next time I would use two 7,000 pound axles or build a triaxle trailer.  I have not had a tyre blowout yet on the trailer, but often wonder what would be the result.  Tyres are the weak link on the load handling capacity.  I carry my mast at waist height on a
 rack on the side of the trailer so that I can off load the mast with the help of one or two other hands, no need again for a hoist, etc.

  Contact me if you would like further info. I believe that I can find the drawings that I made for welding up the frame and superstructure..........................somewhere.

  Michael Connolly

  Lorrie Rose #133

Elyse Pastor <elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca> wrote:
  I read with interest the postings of Michael Connolly about his search for
trailer plans and the project to actually build a trailer (dated February
2002).
Unfortunately I could not find any conclusion or information if Michael
succeeded with his trailer project.
We just bought an Alberg 30 (without a cradle) that we will sail on Lake
St-Louis in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
If you know Lake St-Louis, you know that it is a very small lake, and if we
want to sail in bigger cruising grounds (for a 2 week holiday this summer),
it will take us 2 - 3 days to motor upstream to Lake Ontario or downstream
to the lower St-Lawrence River.
So instead of building a cradle (for winter storage), we consider to build
or buy a trailer that would also give us some flexibility with access to
bigger cruising grounds.
Does anyone have some up-to-date information on the subject of building a
trailer for the Alberg 30?Trailer Plans?
Or anyone has knowledge of a used trailer for sale?
Best regards
Bruno & Elyse
Proud new owners of Hull #297
(we can't wait for spring to arrive)