[Public-List] new winches

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Jan 6 19:05:39 PST 2008

Hello John -

A few years ago I put a pair of self tailers on SURPRISE and moved the old
Barients back onto the secondary winch pads for use as spinnaker sheet/guy
winches.

I got myself a pair of Harken 40 2-speed ST's; they do the job but there is
more plastic on them than I am comfortable with.  Can't complain though; I
got them in lieu of pay for doing a lecture at the local marine college.

Putting better winches on the boat was I am sure the single most dramatic
improvement we have made to the boat.  Handling her in all conditions is
much much easier.

Gord
#426 Surprise