[Public-List] new winches

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Mon Jan 7 07:08:52 PST 2008

John

I have andersen winches. I have a 28 mounted on the cabin house to handle the main halyard and other lines. I use line stoppers rather than cam cleats. I had a 16 there earlier but found that the friction produced by  the system requried a larger winch. The friction came partly from a full batten main. I have 40s as primary winches and 28s as secondary winches. In retrospect this is overkill. I thought the 40s would give noticably more cranking power. The numbers are there but it does not feel that much different. I  would have been better off to start earlier at the gym and save the cash I think. Today I would stick with the 28s as primary winches and use 16s as secondary winches. I am not sure if Andersen has a self tailing 16. If not I think self tailing 12s would be adequate as seconary winches to manage the spinaker.

There are a lot of good winches out there but I prefer the andersens because they are really tough and treat your running rigging very kindlhy.

I purchases mine through Tom Bixby at Rigging Only (riggingonly.com) in Fair Haven, Mass. Great prices and event better service. Purchase during boat shows and the prices can be even better.

My operfating philosphy in refitting Scholarship II is that I want a traditionally sailing boat equipped with the best modern equipment I can afford.

David

Scholarship II, 432

>>> John Scott <jcscott at cpsc.com> 01/06/08 9:50 PM >>>
Hello All:

I'm thinking about getting a pair of self tailing winches for my A30
and I'm looking for recommendations (brand and size).  I'm also
thinking of running my main halyard to my cockpit and installing a
winch and cam cleat on the cabin top.  I'd appreciate knowing if any
of you have done the same and what hardware you would recommend
(particularly the size of the winch).

Thanks

John Scott
Hull #2