[Public-List] fuel vent question

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:37:53 PDT 2008

Dear List,

I am replacing my fuel vent system. The reason is because the old vent was
very small and there was a lot of pressure drop as in if you disconnected
the vent from the tank and blew through it then you would find that it was
very hard to blow through (lot of backpressure). This is a problem because I
wanted to install a fuel whistle which goes in the vent line and indicates
when your tank gets full (it stops whistling when the fuel hits it) but it
requires clean airflow through the vent hose. The reason I want the whistle
is because I don't trust my fuel gauge and need another indicator of when
the tank is full.

Anyhow. My vent is mounted in the transom on centerline and the old vent was
a 3/8" fitting. The new vent is a 5/8" fitting which is fine because the
vent hose was already 5/8" anyhow and so there's no problem with that. The
problem is that my transom is so thick I can't get the threads on the vent
fitting to register. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Do they make
5/8" vent fittings with extra long threads?

Any advice much appreciated.

JB