[Public-List] Mast Beam Variation

John S. Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed Jul 16 05:57:53 PDT 2008

Jeffrey wrote:
>  I don't think our mast beams are subjected
> to all that much stress.

You might be surprised just how much stress is involved there. That's a
heck of a compression load point loaded in one spot - and it's dynamic
in any kind of seaway.

There are documented cases that these have failed at-sea, and it's a
common problem with wooden supports of this kind (see for example the
number of boats in Vigor's "Twenty Small Boats to Take You Anywhere"
that have this as a maintenance issue).

This is one structural issue that can affect the safety/seaworthiness of
the vessel, and personally I would not do anything less than the
absolute strongest support I could engineer if I had any lack of
confidence in my installation at all.

--
John
s/v Gaelic Sea