[Public-List] Mast Beam Variation

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 16 15:54:29 PDT 2008

Hello,

When I do the mast beam repare I plan to remove the beam from the boat and relaminate the layers used to form the beam.  First jack up in place so that the door will close with the same clearance all around.  It should stay in place with no mast stepped.  Then make a template from the lower edge.  This template will be used to make the form to relaminate the layers to so that the curve is proper.  I was told that the beam is just bolted to the bulkhead and there is some tabbing along the top edge that is more aesthetic than structural.  This tabbing on my boat has failed where it attaches to the wooden beam.

I have been advised by this group to just attach the aluminum plates but I don't want to mess up the appearance of the boat by doing so.  The original wooden laminate lasted 40 plus years.  The adhesive is what has failed not the wood.  With new better adhesive I suspect that this will last another many years and look just as nice as the original.

I plan to post photos as I complete the work.  Brian Zinzer Hull # 132 is waiting to see how my work turns out before making his decision on how to proceed.

Michael #133

"Theodore M. Liszczak" <tedliszczak at metrocast.net> wrote: This is a question relating to the mast beam but not exactly. As we all
know the glue that Whitby used to laminate the strips of wood that form
the mast beam eventually fails. This is expected after 40 years. This
leads to mast beam and deck sagging. This leads to problems in rigging
and front door closure. That issue has been addressed by the Maintenance
Section and comment from Alberg owners quite well.  On my A-30, Freedom
hull number 345, now 40 years old, the mast beam is not visibly
delaminating.  But the solid wood section in front of and adjacent to
the mast beam is dropping from the ceiling.  It is the wood stringer
that separates the head from the fore cabin. In my A-30 it is what the
fore cabin door hits preventing the door from closing. I have forced it
up with a rubber mallet; it helps with the door closure but not
completely. I do not want to jack it up, drill through it and attach it
to the now functional mast beam, for fear of delaminating or splitting
the wood strips that the mast beam is made of. Has any one had the same
problem? And is there a remedy?

Ted Liszczak
Freedom
Hull # 345