[Public-List] Mast Beam Variation

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sat Jul 19 06:40:32 PDT 2008

The Pearson Triton is a very similar, Alberg-designed boat.  Like the
Whitby boats, built to a price point, but generally tough.  The
mast/cabin arrangements are the same.  The Triton came with a wooden
beam - but a solid piece of wood.  They've often failed, but of course
not by delaminating.  Several owners that I know of have replaced them
with newly fabricated beams of home-laminated wood, and they have not
had any failures -- it seems quite stronger than the original.

In the case of the Triton owners who have removed original failed
beams, I think the failure mode was often cracking of the wood, often
at an (un)strategically placed knot!

There are quite a few web accounts of these beam replacements, many
with photos, if anyone wants to see them.  I don't have time to seek
them out now (have to leave for an appointment), but I can add them
later if anyone is interested.

Rachel