[Public-List] Stripping Bottom Paint - Any Experience with Soy/Chemical Strippers?

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Jul 21 08:00:20 PDT 2008

Hi all Albergers,

I have had some success placing a 20" house fan 4' to 6' "upwind" of the
sanding.  It does a pretty good job of clearing the sander exhaust before
too much makes it to the respirator.  Of course, it would be good not to
have other boats too close downwind.  I have also jury rigged a shop vac
nozzle to the sander w/ duct tape but it's hard to get it in a place where
it will collect everything, comes off easily (even if you use an entire roll
of duct tape) and it takes half a day to clean the vacuume.

For a more extreme approach, at one time I kept good old #148 at a friend's
factory that had not one but two 20 ton bridge cranes.  I thought it would
be easier to sand the bottom w/ the boat on its side.  So, I bought a 3' x
6' air pillow ("dunnage bag" used to hold truck cargo in place) with the
intention of using the crane to put the keel on the concrete factory floor
and rolling the boat on it's side (I suppose one just pushes the boat
amidships once the crane straps get a little slack) and resting it on the
pillow.  Imagine, access to the bottom of the keel, no sanding above your
head, no boat stands/pads to work around; do one side, roll her over, then
do the other.

Anyway, perhaps its a good thing my friend sold the business and I got
kicked out before I could give it a try.  Anyone need a dunnage bag?  Still
in the box.

Roger 148