[Public-List] Stripping Bottom Paint - Any Experience with Soy/Chemical Strippers?

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Sun Jul 20 06:53:25 PDT 2008

   Yeah !
   I did it from February to March in '04 ... not hot but lots of work &
   it took half the boat for me to realize that the 24 grit stuff really
   made the difference. I started with 80 then gradually worked my way
   down. Arrrgh!
   Anyway, once you are done you will have a beautiful hull! I know I am
   STILL proud of the work I did!
   Oh and your hands will probably vibrate for a week :>
   C.B.
   [1]laserandy at aol.com wrote:

CB,

I took your advice.  That is definitely the 'manly' way to remove bottom paint.
  After several hours of work,
a partially failed resperator (boy do I have a headache), and a slightly worse
for the wear Dewalt,
I've got about half the boat stripped.  By the time I finished I could no longe
r breathe through the
resperator and probably sucked CO2 for most of last part.

I feel like shaving my head, scrubbing the rest of my body with a pummice stone
, and going to sleep.
My hands are still vibrating.

I'll be back at it again tomorrow with a new resperator and some more 'rocks on
 paper'

Andrew

I strongly advocate sanding! Use a RO sander with 24 grit
(floor sanding paper). It is practically rocks glued to paper ...
paint comes off really easily.
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458