[Public-List] 18 horsepower

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 08:25:16 PDT 2008

I have the Yanmar 13hp (2GM), and it pushes the boat along well.

There have been times when I have wanted more, but the Chesapeake does not have strong currents, and so there are few occasions where the wind and the current are conspiring against you. If you have the 18, that should be more than enough.

Good luck with a surveyor. I think you need one to get insured, but ... the guy that did my boat missed some key things. I would have been better off to find someone on the list and buy them a beer for their opinion - where are you located? (I am not looking to have a beer). If you and the boat are in the Annapolis area for example, there are probably a few folks on the list that would have a look with you.

Just my humble opinion - there were some things on my boat that were missed, that I saw, and let them pass because I assumed the surveyor knew what he was doing ... that won't happen again.

Jonathan