[Public-List] Posting or not posting to the list

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Jul 22 15:59:24 PDT 2008

J Bergquist wrote:
> I could be wrong on this (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I
> am), but I think that George actually does the hosting of the
> alberg30.org website as well as the list servers on his own nickel, at
> personal expense of time and money. I think the ads do offset his cost
> somewhat, but I am pretty sure the association doesn't pay him for his
> services in any currency other than good will.

That's true, J.  When I first set up the website, few Association
members had computers at home.  There was /no way/ that it would have
been fair to ask the Association to pay the costs.  Besides, it's a
/sailing/ association, not a /computer/ association.

The Amazon ads (use the links on the site or
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/alberg30-20) generate a
little income for me, and the ads by the Association supporters
(http://www.alberg30.org/store/A30supporters.html) generate a little
income for the Association.  These days, since I moved to cheaper (but
lower performance and less reliable) hosting, I more or less break even
on the dollar costs.

Over time, I'm probably about $3,000 in the red--mostly from running my
own co-located servers for a time.  That doesn't bother me except when I
consider I could buy a couple new sails for that amount.  Harry Gamber's
second-hand #1 is doing just fine, though.  Much better than the
original genoa that it replaced.

As for my time, I do it because I want to.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash