[Public-List] Lazy jacks

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Tue Jun 3 06:50:04 PDT 2008

John

I purchased Harken's system. I liked the Schafer system better,but thought it was more money than I wanted to pay.

One question to consider is whether you want a two leg system or a three leg system. A three leg system goes back farther on the boom and gathers the sail more efficiently that a two leg system. The Harken system is a two leg system.  It works just fine, but three legs strikes me as a little better.

Another question to consider is where you want the system to terminate. I found that it is much better to terminate the system at the aft end of the boom. This means that you can easily adjust it in the cockpit - ease it for sailing and tighten it for collecting the sail at the end of the day. Some people gather the lines at the mast while sailing. Sailors (like me) of a certain age are less inclined to do that. it is a preference on my part.

One potential problem with lazy jacks is that the battens can get caught in the lazy jack lines. Harken has a way to solve this problem - it involves running lines from spreaders to the lazy jack lines holding the system open for hoisting sails. Of course, making sure the bow is on the wind when you hoist sails solves this problem as well. That is what I do. Works just fine.

Unless your mast is down, you will have to go up the mast to attach it above the spreaders. It was a whole easier to install with the mast down.

You do not have to purchase a ready made system. You can construct your own - all the parts are simple and readily available. One advantage of a ready made system is that the mfg will tell you exactly where to place all the parts - their knowledge and experience is worth something.

And, yes, you will love it.

David

>>> "Jock McClees" <mccleesj at comcast.net> 06/03/08 7:58 AM >>>
Hi Larry,