[Public-List] Lazy Jacks

laserandy at aol.com laserandy at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 06:37:10 PDT 2008

Make sure you really want them before you get them.? Our boat came with them and they drove us nuts, catching on the battens, something else to futz with every time you went to raise or lower a sail (we tacked ours forward to the gooseneck to keep them out of the way), and they generally made things more difficult rather than easier.? If you singlehand a lot, I could see them being useful, otherwise personally I would keep the boat simpler.? We took ours off after about two months of use and have never regretted it.? If you are going to do them, my suggestion would be to keep the mast attachment as low as possible and keep them as far forward on the boom as possible, that way when you snag battons, etc., there's less sail up and it's easier to sort out with a little tugging on the leech.

Gord sent an interesting alternative a year or so ago involving pulling in the first reef at the leech, grabbing the first reef point at the mast as you drop the sail into the trough it creates.? I've never used it (our sail has no reef points...), but sounds like a nice alternative.

Andrew
Andante - 152