[Public-List] wood inset in hatches and seats

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Mon Jun 23 19:02:37 PDT 2008

Mark,

If the locker hatches and slides are fiberglass with wood inlay like
my boat (501) the process is very simple.  Route out the entire cavity
to a depth of 1/4".  Be sure to work from the center of the cavity to
the outside edges, so the router has a surface to slide on.  Note I
did the last 1/8"  of the ply wood with a chisel so I wouldn't damage
the fiberglass edges.

Cut 3/8" solid teak strips  approx. 2" wide.  I went to an exotic
lumber supplier and purchased a piece of 8/4 board.  I ripped 3/8"
strips on my table saw.  no need to plane to a uniform a thickness I
will tell you why later.  layout the planking pattern you desire.  I
chose to border the cockpit hatches with miter joints and strip
planking inside.  the lazerette and the companionway slide I did with
straight planking.  Keep in mind the gap needed between all the planks
for the black caulk joints.  Dry fit to ensure proper layout.

Line the out side edges of the cavities with duct tape, not masking
tape. it needs to be tough.

Mix enough west system epoxy and add their graphite powder to color it
black to place all the planks in position.  do not fill the joints all
the way at this time.  do not worry about the flatness of the surface
from one plank to the other.  just get them close.  clamp gently with
weights being careful not to shift the planks position. Figure out
your clamping method during the dry fit stage. Let the epoxy cure.

Mix additional epoxy with graphite and some micro-balloon thickener to
the consistency of stiff honey, but no peanut butter.  fill the caulk
joints with this mixture.  don't worry about getting some on the top
surface it will be removed in the finishing stage.  let it cure.

Once the epoxy is cured take a belt sander with 60 or 100 grit belt
and sand the surface flat and level.  only far enough down to get it
flat and level.  It should end up approx 1/8" above the fiberglass. I
lft mine at that level and it sheds water nicely and if I want to
resurface all I have to do is grind down the wood again.  This is
stage where the duct tape comes in handy because it protects the
fiberglass surface.  Finish sand with 220.

Remove the duct tape around the edges.  it may be necessary to use a
razor knife to cut the excess epoxy in a clean line on the fiberglas
edge to get the tape up.

then they are ready for mounting.

any questions send me an email off list I am in the yearbook

Larry Morris
Solstice  #501