[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1193, Issue 4

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Mar 6 16:54:22 PST 2008

Lightning

  A couple of years ago we were getting ready to join the cruise at Bob
Strange's place, had the ice in the cooler and the food on board when a
thunderstorm blew through. Lightning struck the mast and blew out the
electronics including the bilge pump and the battery charger, autopilot,
etc. (but not the masthead light bulbs) We had Brigadoon hauled in case
the stroke had done bottom damage, but there was none. It took a month
to get the electronics back. The insurance paid most of it. Most
annoying thing was that I could not match the existing electronics. Had
to go up to a lot more expensive stuff, but the insurance covered it.
Our boat is at our pier behind the house. It's down a 24 ft bank, so the
masthead is only a little above "ground" level and well below the trees.

- Gordon White, Deltaville, VA