[Public-List] track car slides

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Mar 6 06:48:45 PST 2008

Don Campbell wrote:
> Seems tome there is one thing missed here. If the original product used
> lasted for 44 years, then if you use the same product equally well, it
> just might last for another 44 years and that is not a bad track record.
> The newer caulking materials might outlast the old as well and if you
> are still sailing this boat in 44 years, then more power to you.

Don, in many cases the original product (talking here about the teak
strip under the flat track on the older boats) did /not/ last.  I've
known boats to sail for decades with bits of teak splintering out from
under, and with spots where the track car hangs up.  So, while I
generally agree with the sentiment of what you said, for this one
application I generally think that replacing with plastic is a better
choice--cheaper and more durable with no loss of functionality or looks.

That said, if you've got a strip of teak, there's no harm in using it.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash