[Public-List] track car slides

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 6 07:10:23 PST 2008

As always, choose your wood carefully for the job at hand and really
look for the piece that won't splinter . I suggest the variety of teak
or oak will make a difference as well. (It won't be cheap, either!) The
thing is that there is a great amount of stress and strain on the track
bases and they move or at least flex with these forces. Not only is
there the lift from the sheet in the block (at more than 100% of the
load), but also there is  the torque or resolved force from the sheeting
angle from outboard that occurs on any point of sail more than close
hauled.
    Generally, the best material that we have to go back to its original
shape is wood. Life with boats is always a compromise and choices need
to be well thought out. If you torque the fasteners in the original
installation so that the wood is distressed to begin with, you have
already increased the probability of splitting and splintering without
any of the intended load applications being applied. Backing plates and
balancing of these forces matter in places like these.
    Once again, I suggest that your research include work by the Gougeon
Brothers as they have been at the fore of maximizing the combining of
old and new technologies  and  for using testing methods to determine
strength and breaking strengths that show results in real numbers.
Don