[Public-List] lightning protection & grounding plates

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Mar 6 10:22:10 PST 2008

My thoughts exactly Gord, probably the best way to avoid lightening is a
very thick King James version of the Good Book. Live an honest life, after
reading the book, sit on it and pray. I love a good electrical storm when
I'm on land (like that marvellous scene in the Bard's Julius Caesar) and
fear it on the water.

We watched a well grounded IOR 50'er with massive keel bolts, all well
grounded, take a massive strike and it did huge damage to the boat
structurally.

Mercifully the crew was not aboard at the time and she did not sink - but it
blewout big chunks of glass in the Rudder,  hull near the chainplates,
stem - so go figure

ATB

John