[Public-List] Jib Tracks

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:48:58 PST 2008

I definitely understand and agree with that. If I were caught beating
against a 40 knot gale I would definitely want to have the working jib up
and...um...working.

I'm just saying that most folks (including me) don't even have a working
jib. So the idea of restoring working jib tracks when you don't own such a
sail seems to be a slight mis-prioritization... Andrew brought this up and I
thought it was a good point. Check sail inventory before messing with
working jib tracks...right. Good call.

And I haven't yet gotten myself into the situation of having to beat into a
40 knot gale in order to get home. Not saying I won't ever do that, but it
hasn't happened yet.

Fact is that even though our boats are designed for offshore use, the vast
majority of us are not using them for offshore sailing. So the working jib
tracks are probably not the most important part of the boat to worry about
restoring, for most owners... Offshore sailors of course want to make sure
they have both a working jib and a working track.

I can't even remember who started this thread. Whoever it was, are you
planning an offshore voyage? If so, I'd love to hear where you're going!
After reading about the one guy going to Polynesia, it'd be great to hear
more of that.

Take care all!

JB