[Public-List] Jib Tracks

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Thu Mar 6 14:09:05 PST 2008

Jay & George,

What's a working jib? (just kidding ..... I think)

Roger 148

Rambling Sidebar:

Speaking of not telling the wife, in 1981 I was one of two skippering
identical 44' sloops chartered in the Virgin Islands by 16 of we
Pittsburghers.  The 2nd night we had them backed into slips not far from
where the dock ended at the entrance channel (I think it was Spanish Town on
the west coast of Virgin Gorda).  We were enjoying liberal libations on the
dock en masse when a gentleman walked past us at a pretty good clip.  In all
fairness, I have to mention the dock had some nice accent lighting lining
the edges that exactly matched the lights equally spaced on the concrete
wall at the other side of the channel.  Our passer by gave us a nice smile
and a how-tee-do on his way by but, even as he approached the end of the
dock, he kept full stride.  Later we could only assume that our traveler had
had at least as much as we and, seeing the identical lights on the other
side of the channel, subconsciously concluded the dock just kept going (or,
thought he could walk on water).

He walked full speed off the end of the dock; I think his legs were still
moving when he hit the water 3' later.  We ran over and, with some effort,
fished him out.  Soaking wet, he thanked us profusely and, about 15' past
our group on his return trip, stopped, turned around, and said, "Please
don't tell my wife".  As Pittsburghers, who can be a little slow,
particularly with the encouragement of libation, we could only stare
dumfounded as he faded away into darkness and memory.  After much loud and
earnest discussion we concluded his secret was safe with us because, of
course, we didn't' know his wife from Adam (or is it Eve).  Even more
enlightening was our realization that, unless he could convince her it had
rained that night, his wife might somehow might be able to figure out on her
own that something was amiss.

Anyway, the incident has provided much nostalgic entertainment over the
years.  Of course, we always recall how fortunate it was we had moved you
dingy from the end of the dock just 10 minutes before.